Every year, the number of students appearing for IIT JEE entrance exam exceeds 4 to 5 lakhs. There are only few hundred seats available and that makes IIT JEE as one of the highly competitive entrance exam in the country. It is considered to be one of the toughest entrance exams to crack after 12thBoard exams. Thus it requires extensive planning and persistent efforts to get through.
Tips for cracking IIT JEE Entrance Exam
· The syllabus of IIT JEE exam is usually based on Class XI and XII. Students can log on to www.iitjee.org to get the exhaustive syllabus with all chapters and their topics. The JEE syllabus of Class XI contributes 45 per cent and class XII contributes 55 per cent of IIT-JEE question papers.
· Students should learn and prepare all the chapters of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics with special focus on the following topics.
Mathematics: Hyperbola in coordinate geometry, probability, vectors , continuity and differentiability , functions , matrices in algebra, limits , parabola, application of derivatives, definite integral in calculus, complex numbers , Quadratic equations and expressions, circle, etc.
Physics: Fluids, heat and thermodynamics, magnetic, waves and sound, capacitors and electrostatics, electromagnetic induction, Mechanics, optics and modern physics.
Chemistry: Electrochemistry, Chemical equilibrium in physical chemistry , Coordination chemistry , Chemical bonding in inorganic chemistry, Qualitative analysis, Complete organic chemistry, etc.
· Students should avoid selective study in Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry. Due to more number of questions in objective type papers, one should cover all the topics.
· A sound planning is required for preparing and dealing with the study pressure. Students should divide the time available on all three subjects, and then make plans for chapter-wise, topic-wise time schedule.
· It is recommended to prepare summary notes of concepts topic wise and chapter-wise. Also, one should note down the topics that need analytical skills and tough to understand. It assists in quick revision few days before the examination.
· Approach for students preparing for IIT-JEE and Class XII board exams simultaneously: These students should prepare for Class XII first and then concentrate for corresponding IIT-JEE chapters around three weeks prior to board examination. One should also continue to revise the Class XI chapters in between. Once the board exams are over, students should focus and concentrate on revising both Class XI and XII subjects.
· Approach for students appearing for the IIT JEE only is to avoid referring to many books and study material available in the market. Students should identify one reliable source and stick to it. For example, students should study the IIT-JEE archives, Grand Masters Package/ Equivalent, review-packages, work-books, AITS/AIITS series, etc; supplied by FIITJEE.
· Stay focussed: Students should continue to stay focussed and maintain a positive attitude with utmost concentration in order to reap benefits. The quality of time spent counts a lot instead of quantity alone. In order to maintain long hours of concentration, it is advised to take a short break of 5 to 10 minutes after every one to two hours of serious study.
· Keep mind and body healthy: It is advised to pursue some relaxing exercises and meditation daily in the morning or evening for developing inner calm and power of concentration that is required for success. A sleep of 5 to 6 hours daily is required for keeping the mind and body fit.